Saturday, August 19, 2006

A Paradigm Shift

It has been ages since I last posted - I wanted to keep this blog up to date on a more regular basis, but alas, I'm not that good.  However, I recently downloaded, and am using, Windows Live Writer Beta, so hopefully I can keep all my blogs together in one place.

In any case, I've made a paradigm shift in my modelling choices: I am no longer modelling military subjects.  With some notable exceptions, I will only model civilian subjects from now on.

Why?  Well, quite frankly, there are very few militaries in the world today which I can support - I certainly don't support U.S. military policy, and my own study of history leads me to believe I would not have supported it after 1861.  Building military models at the very least shows support of the builders of military weaponry and the countries who buy, build, and use them, and I can't in good conscience continue to show that level of support.

One key point: I make no judgements on the choices of other modelers.  I make my own principled decisions, and respect the principled decisions of others.  I still appreciate good military models, but will not build them myself.

How did I do this?  Simple: I traded 99% my miltary models (except those I could use for civilian purposes such as rescue vehicles) to another modeler for a table-top planer/jointer.  The bulk of my collection is now automobiles, motorcycles, a few civilian aircraft, and some fantasy and sci-fi pieces.

The notable exceptions mentioned above?  Some military aircraft I've already started, some military figures I want to paint, and two F-111's my wife appreciates that I said I'd build for her.

Anyway, there it is - there are also some new links.  One club I'm in, the Northwest Scale Modelers, have a new Yahoo group setup - check it out for some highlights of past meetings, our email threads, and other good info.  I've also got a review of the MiL-8H by Trumpeter on Internet Modeler you can read.

No comments: